Friday, April 29, 2011

True Fan

I am very proud (and my husband even more so) to announce that I am officially a real, true, genuine Spurs fan.  I have crossed the line from a 'semi-fan' and a 'I'll watch the game because my husband wants me to' fan, and a 'I heart Tony Parker' fan... to a legit Spurs team fan.  I'll tell you when this moment happened.

You see, I've enjoyed watching the Spurs on occasion for a while now... and I've called myself a fan.  But I was still honestly just a half-fan at best.  I cared if they won -sort of.  I mainly watched or listened only because Cody was.  -Although I will say, I have thoroughly enjoyed actually going to games for quite some time now... I'm talking about being interested when I'm not there in person. It's very different. It tests who the true fans are.

And so this transformation happened Wednesday night.  I was home by myself with nothing but an annoying dog and an equally annoying headache.  Cody was at the Spurs game with his dad, Steve.  We do not have cable and so I did not have a way to watch the game at home (-not that I likely would have anyways) and so I had lots of other things planned to work on all by myself.  However, I was still really interested in the game and texted Cody asking for updates as the game went.  He texted me fairly often and the whole time the game sounded pretty close and I kept wondering how it was going.  Finally towards the end of the game I was looking at my Twitter (I do follow the Spurs and so they were also posting game updates occasionally) and saw a link from the Spurs to listen to the game online. So... I took my second step of the evening -of my own initiative- (the first being asking Cody for updates) and clicked the link to listen to the game. I had this playing on our laptop and took it into the kitchen with me to fold the laundry that just finished drying.  When I got all set up and started listening there was just a little more than 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter.  I was folding laundry and listening to the game... and it was so close and exciting!  I was SO intrigued that I found myself caring so much about what was happening, that I actually had to stop folding the laundry to focus on the game!  -That everyone... was the moment I became a genuine Spurs fan.  When I realized I needed to stop folding the laundry (one of my to-do tasks for the evening) because I couldn't focus on what was happening in the game.  It hit me... I cared. And not a little. And not only about Tony Parker. I cared a lot and wanted to focus to hear what was happening and root for them to come through in the end!

And we did by the way.  Gary Neal made a 3 point shot at the buzzer to tie and send us into overtime.  I'll have you know... I continued to listen to the game in overtime and I just knew we were going to win and see a game 6!  (Alright, I didn't know for sure... I was semi-nervous... but I was realllllly hopeful! And I like to stay positive.)

Anyways.  So that's my fun story of how I crossed over from being a half-hearted fan to a true fan this past Wednesday evening when I chose to stand in the kitchen and listen to the Spurs broadcast rather than continue my previous plan for the evening.

...And in case you didn't guess this part... my husband was shocked and beyond proud and excited to hear that I had been listening to the game on my own!  He loves me being a Spurs fan : )


Go Spurs Go!
Game 6 in 30 minutes! Let's see a game 7!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment