Monday, November 1, 2010

7 Weeks

So this Monday marks 7 weeks from the HEB Incident.  (I like to refer to it as the incident rather than accident... it just sounds cooler to me somehow.) I had PT today... and am officially starting to walk without any crutch! Yay for that; however, my 'walk' is still not a normal walk.  I definitely look goofy.  I walk super slow and have to balance and focus... but hey, it's been seven weeks... I'll take any and all progress that I can get.  I still do not have full range of motion with my knee -I can't straighten it fully or bend it fully- and therefore my step motion is very awkward and incorrect.  But again, it's progress.  At PT I'm doing a lot of weight-bearing exercises (to regain strength as my leg is still much weaker than normal), balancing exercises, and knee extension stuff all trying to get me back to walking normally.  I still unfortunately need both dang crutches to get back up our three flights of stairs (during this whole ordeal I've really wished we lived on the first rather than third floor) and I still need one to get down without falling or something.  And since I'm just starting trying to walk without the crutch at all... I've realized it's more of a slow weaning-off procress rather than a quick quit cold turkey.  If my leg gets too tired or if I'll be up for any real amount of time I still need the crutch.  Like I said, it's a process, but I'm glad to finally be at this point!  7 weeks... I'm so ready to be off the crutches completely.  Hopefully soon!

Anyways.  Today I also started crocheting again. The only thing I know how to crochet is a scarf... although I can vary the style slightly (I don't know if that's saying much). Two years ago I learned how to crochet a scarf and made ... well a lot of them.  I don't remember exactly.  I definitely went on a scarf-crocheting kick, and then I proceded to burn myself out on that hobby and haven't for almost two years.  However, today I picked through my huge backet of yarn and found one that I wanted to start up my hobby again with.  I don't know if I'll end up just making this one and being done or if I'll find myelf on another scarf-kick, but for today (and the next few days), I'm enjoying relearning how to crochet.  Sometimes while working on a scarf I can't tell if I like it or not until about half way... and at that point I've put in enough time that I'm finishing it even if I don't much like it.  So hopefully I'll like how this one turns out!  Scarves are fun and I always enjoy adding new ones to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment