- Mastered rolling over and rolls constantly!
- LOVES Callie! He squeals and reaches out for her with a super slow motion reach.
- Still loves his Jumperoo and now tries to bounce/jump when you hold him standing on your lap
- Tries to grab everything
- Loves to touch and lick classes/cups/bottles and the remotes
- Loves my Chewbeads necklaces
- Pinches and scratches me while nursing which often really hurts!
- Nursing has gotten difficult with Owen pulling off and being fussy during feedings
- Diaper changes are now like a rodeo! He does not lay still for one second on that changing table
- Constantly active and ready to GO! If he sees something he wants (bottle, iPhone, remote) he will squirm, scoot, and roll until he gets it. Sometimes quicker than you'd expect.
- Dinners are now difficult as Owen is no longer content in the Rock n Play, and typically he wants to be with us, but doesn't exactly sit still and nicely while we're trying to eat.
- He laughs and smiles a ton and often screams/squeals in delight usually for Callie or while playing in the Jumperoo.
- Rolls at night now, which freaked me out for the first week. Now he sometimes likes to transfer to sleep on his side or stomach. He puts his hands under his face and then wakes up with massive deep red imprints all over his face.
- Laughs when Mama plays peek-a-boo behind the couch
- Still exclusively breastfed
- We think he is barely getting a little more hair on the top of his head
- Has started sometimes fighting naps. Not always, but whenever he does it, it is no fun! He is clearly so exhausted and just will not fall asleep no matter what I try. We have done a couple successful naps (after oh so much fighting) with him wrapped in the Boba on me and me rocking in the glider in his nursery.
- Tried out our first back carries in the Mei Tai! I can now get him in there by myself but I have to start with him on a bed or couch. Eventually I hope to master getting him in there without needing anything so I could use that carry while out and about.
- He likes to grab and play with his socks or the feet on his footed PJs
- When I can get him to sleep his naps are now longer stretches usually between 1 ½ hours to sometimes 3 hours. He typically takes a long morning nap and long afternoon nap, then one short (like 20-30 min) power nap in the late evening.
- Smiles and likes to watch Mama brush her teeth
- Loves to look at himself in the mirror and smiles and touches the mirror
6 Months -15 pounds, 26 inches
Right when he turned 6 months he started army crawling and quickly became a mobile machine! I didn’t realize babies could be so mobile before walking. Between his rolling and army crawling he can get just about anywhere. I can no longer leave him somewhere and go grab something. -Or if I do he is often nowhere near where I left him.
- Army crawls
- LOVES Callie
- LOVES his Jumperoo still
- LOVES cups, bottles, (Gatorade bottles specifically as I often drink those), iPhones, and the remotes
- Still breastfeeding and we started introducing solid foods right at 6 months
- Tried purees for a week (I wasn’t wanting to do them at all) and Owen HATED them so we started baby led weaning which is what I wanted to do anyways.
- Army crawls into my lap and it melts my heart
- LOVES the Itsy Bitsy Spider song and it calms him down - we have sung many rounds of the song in the car to calm his crying
- Pulls off his socks constantly and starts to suck on them
- Plays and squeals at himself in the mirror
- Likes to chew on board books
- Working on sitting up - can balance for a bit and then topples over
- Does NOT stay still for one second during diaper and clothes changes (and is not a fan of either)
- Typically rolls to his stomach to sleep now, puts his hands under his face and wakes up with massive deep red imprints on his forehead
- Likes Mama’s Chewbead necklaces
- Sleeping 10-11 hours at night with one mid-night feeding
- 2-3 naps a day with at least one nap being longer now between 1 and ½ - 2 and ½ hours
- Can ride in the stroller without the car seat
- Starting to be clingy with Mama -especially in the evenings when he starts to get fussy
- Started staying in the nursery at MOPS and church
- Will army crawl to the little bookshelf in his nursery and start pulling books off the shelf
- Bedtime is now between 8:00-9:00pm, sometimes 9:30 at the latest, and usually wakes up between 7:30-8:30am
Thoughts
I feel like some things are coming to an end soon. Maybe I’m wrong. I sort of hope I’m wrong. But lately I feel like I’ve noticed some things possibly starting to phase out and I have mixed feelings about it. For example we had a short stretch where he was completely sleeping through the night (10 hours) and therefore missing the middle of the night feeding. You would think that I’d love that seeing as how I could sleep straight through and be rested, right? Well it turns out that when I thought I was going to lose that mid-night feeding I realized how much I cherish that time. Do not get me wrong, I do NOT like the lack of sleep and being so groggy having to force myself out of bed and then being up between 40 minutes to an hour. However, I realized that it is the sweetest nursing time. During the day now Owen is so distracted and fidgety sometimes it feels like a battle to get him to eat a decent amount. But at night when he is sleepy he just nurses and cuddles and it is a sweet time together. I’m not ready to give that up! It’d be different if the times during the day were like that, but they’re not. Not at all. They’ve gotten more difficult and sometimes very frustrating, so I’ve come to love the middle of the night nursing session.
Another phase we had was a small period where Owen refused to let me rock him for naps and to go to sleep at night. I know that it probably isn’t a good habit to rock him to sleep all the time, but I don’t care. He goes to sleep really well so far and I love that time. He started fighting me and almost trying to wriggle or dive out of my arms. He would cry and just want me to put him down. I would try to rock him and eventually give up when I was frustrated and clearly he was not going to sleep and did not want me to be holding him like that. I would lay him down in the crib and he would roll over and go to sleep on his own. Not gonna lie. That sort of hurt a little. Why didn’t he want me to hold him and rock him?? I’m his Mama. That’s part of my job. He usually likes it and quickly falls asleep up against me. I was worried he was already getting too independent and not wanting me to rock him like that anymore. I’m not ready to give that up either. I often just hold him in my arms once he has fallen asleep and enjoy the moments that I can hold him and he fits in my arms. When he isn’t talking back or fighting to be snuggly with me. I know these days won’t last forever. I want to enjoy each one of them. He is only 6 months old! He can’t already be too grown up to resist rocking.
Thankfully both of these were just short phases so far. But they opened my eyes to see just how quickly this phase of his life is passing by. He will not fit in my arms and let me rock him for ever. He will not continue to wake up for a sweet mid-night nursing session much longer. These are things that soon enough will come to a gradual end. It’s such a weird conflicting feeling knowing that obviously I want Owen to be healthy and grow and develop as he should, but at the same time a part of me wishes he could stay tiny and a baby and close to me for as long as possible. Right now I want to treasure each day and stage and hopefully not take anything for granted. I love holding him and rocking him and playing with him. I love nursing him and putting him to sleep. I love how he has started crawling into my lap. I know these stages won’t last long before he is walking and running and talking and eventually not wanting to be close and snuggly with his Mama. For now I’m going to hold my baby and love on him with all my heart.

















































No comments:
Post a Comment