(So this first part was still from week 18 at the end of the week... but it hadn't happened yet before I put up the last post.)
Week 18 -Continued
Last night I felt the baby kick for the first real time! I have been wondering if I've been feeling something every now and then for the past week or two about, but it was faint and I was never really sure. Well last night I don't know what else it would have been except the baby! I was all ready to go to sleep laying in bed. Lately I've been falling asleep with my hand on my belly just in case I might feel something, and yesterday I did! Oh man, that first feeling was super strong too! Not only did I feel it completely for sure but I wondered if our little guy was going to try and burst out. I couldn't believe how big and strong of a feeling it was. He must have tried to stick his whole leg out the side of my stomach! I kept my hand there and then felt another movement and then I yelled for Cody. He was in the kitchen doing dishes (as the usual these days I was in bed pretty early). It took a couple yells for him to hear me and come in the room. I felt the baby move four times before he got there and I was worried it'd be over, but it wasn't. I showed Cody where to put his hand and told him what all I'd just felt and sure enough Cody felt the baby too about three or four times. He kept saying "You're not doing that?" And I responded with something like "No, it's definitely not me. It's the baby for sure this time." We were so excited and it was so fun for us to both feel it and be so confident for the first time in what we were feeling. It's been an exciting week! Finding out the gender, sharing the gender with our families, and now feeling the baby for the first real time : ) Well today is Thanksgiving and I was taking a mini-break from cooking and baking to write this. Back to the kitchen for a bit more before getting ready to go to the Hendersons for the day. Tomorrow we go to my parents and all my brothers are in town which is awesome. Also my brother, Ryan, recently got engaged to a girl named Cassi which is super exciting! We have only met her a couple times briefly so I'm really looking forward to seeing them tomorrow and hopefully getting to know her a bit better. It's crazy to think that by the time our baby is born, he will not only have one Aunt Kari but also a brand new Aunt Cassi. And I'm beyond excited to see my brothers as uncles! I think they are super cute when they interact with other babies/young kids. I think they will be great uncles. Now I do have to get back to the kitchen. Happy Thanksgiving!
![]() |
| Fun Saturday morning we spent walking around the Pearl Brewery and Farmer's Market. |
![]() Thank you to our friends Evie and Cory for a box of baby boy clothes to borrow when he arrives! |
Week 19
I LOVE feeling the baby move! I think that alone has quickly gotten me over and forgetting the fact that I felt so awful for so long. I still don’t feel him move a lot and not even daily yet, but whenever I do it is just instant joy. I always fall asleep with my hand on my stomach in case I might slightly feel something. Most of the time the movements are still faint enough that I can feel it more externally than internally. I guess that will change as he keeps growing and the movements become stronger. Cody loves feeling it too. Anytime we’re right next to each other and I feel something I show him where to put his hand to feel it. Almost every single time he feels something he still asks “Are you sure that’s not you? You didn’t just do that?” Normally I feel him when I’m laying down and towards the evening/night once I’m home on the couch or in bed. Today was the first time I felt him move while I was out and about during the day : ) Cody and I had gotten breakfast tacos and were driving around looking at possible houses for sale and I felt something and sort of ignored it since I have only felt him at night/while laying so far, but after I felt a second movement I realized it was the little guy : ) It made me instantly happy.
The other day Cody and I were talking about random baby/how our lives will soon change type stuff and he asked “So you’re really ready to have a baby in your arms?” (Or something close to that.) And he went to a small basket where we are keeping random baby stuff from our families so far and he brought over a cute little onesie. He sort of laid it across my arms and I almost instantly teared up and started crying. (Happy cry.) Cody thought it was super sweet and cute. Part of me just wanted to keep holding the onesie and part of me felt silly and crazy and emotional. I guess that goes with the territory right now.
Also this week I had my kids in class comment for the first time about my belly. (I told them I was pregnant at 16 weeks.) I was walking around the room while they were working and one of my girls stuck out her arm and pointed straight at my stomach and said “Mrs. Henderson, your belly is starting to get big! You know -from the baby.” Later that day during after school tutoring, I often sit on the carpet with the kids in a circle. Well I was trying to sit down with them and I guess it looked like I was having some trouble, because one of my boys goes “Mrs. Henderson maybe you should sit in a chair. I think you’re squishing your baby.” So I did because he was right, a chair was much more comfortable.
And of course I have already gotten the dreaded question “Where do babies come from?” -Except this boy in my class specifically asked “How does the baby come out of your body?” And I froze for a second - just long enough for another student to solve the mystery by answering him very matter-of-factly “It comes from the mom’s belly of course.” I laughed and quickly tried to distract the conversation by starting our calendar time.
![]() |
| My Cody and our Callie lounging around. |
![]() |
| Half way at 20 weeks!! |
![]() |
| 20 week half way belly pic! |
Week 21
My absolute new favorite thing in the world is feeling our little boy move inside me. I seriously cannot express all the emotions I get when I feel him moving around. I'm feeling him more often now - not all the time but occasionally throughout the day. I still feel him the most at night when I'm laying down, but I'm enjoying feeling him more and more just as I'm doing whatever during the day. I cannot help myself but to want to just stop whatever I'm doing and put my hand on my belly and focus on the feeling. Once I feel him one time I just want it to keep happening over and over. It's amazing and I love it so much. It already makes me sad in a way knowing that I won't always be able to feel him like this. Can I somehow have him in my arms come April and still feel little sweet movements in me? I guess there is a solution to that dilemma... feeling new little arms and legs moving around : ) But that is getting WAY crazy ahead of ourselves! We're still growing the first guy.
Last week was the halfway point which blows my mind. It is exciting and a little scary to think we're half way there. Part of me feels ready and anxious like I just want to hurry up and meet him and hold him, and another part of me is quietly thinking "Oh my gosh... we're about to have a baby... what on earth do we do to "prepare" to be parents?!" Because really Cody and I are openly and honestly clueless! We've accepted this will be a learn-on-the-job type situation for a lot of things and that as long as we don't drop him on his head, most mistakes we make will be okay in the end. Fortunately we do have several friends either with new little babies in their lives right now or are pregnant and due a bit before us. So we can watch from the outside and gather information as others go through each phase before us. Sounds like a plan to me. It'll be our turn before we know it.
![]() |
| 21 Week Picture |








No comments:
Post a Comment