Friday, August 31, 2012

It's Been One Week...

(Before I even start my real post about school... I have to say that I am working hard right now to refrain from posting the lyrics to the Barenaked Ladies song.  Rarely can I think or say the words "one" and "week" together without getting that song stuck in my head!)

So.  It's been one week -since school started!  Week one is officially done with the kiddos... what is it? -35 (ish) weeks to go now??

Actually, so far (I realize since it is only the end of the very first week, this might now mean much, but still...) I am LOVING this year.  Seriously!  I didn't die last year -I think I had a decent first year.  Honestly probably note great, but definitely not awful either.  It was okay.  But even just comparing the start to last year with the start to this year... the difference is amazing!  There are multiple factors that are a part of the difference... but I think a big one is simply the fact that as this is now year 2, I have at least somewhat of an idea about what's going on.  Turns out not being clueless about everything makes a big difference!  I am definitely more confident and I'm doing a million things differently with my classroom management than I did to start the year last go-around, and overall instead of feeling like I'm trying not to drown throughout week one, I actually enjoyed it!

I already love my class of kiddos this year too.  They are sweet, funny, and for the most part a fairly polite group! -At least so far.  Hopefully none of them (or at least not too many) are holding off to reveal their true colors in the weeks to come.

This whole week wasn't just sunshine though.  I am extremely exhausted and did hit a few points of feeling way stressed and overwhelmed already.  But it is so nice to have the actual school day with the kids be mostly enjoyable so far, and for all that extra stress and non-stop busyness to not set in until after dismissal.

Overall I am extremely excited for this year!  I am feeling beyond blessed with how this year is starting and I truly think it has the potential to be amazing.  (-If something changes and it becomes awful I'm definitely setting myself up to regret this post!)  I am loving my group of kids so far and am so excited about some new things I'm doing in my room this year.  Hopefully I'll be able to post every now-and-then throughout the year about how it's going.  I have lots of small goals this year to be able to maintain things in my life outside of school (imagine that!) -like cooking dinners, seeing my husband during the week, blogging, doing things with friends, and just having time to relax after each (or most) school days.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this year unfolds... but as for right now, I don't think I could have wished for a much better week one.   : )

2 comments:

  1. Oh seriously, year two is a million times better than year one, for all the reasons you said! Even though there will still be some stressful times, and even though your kids will not be angels all the time, you will feel like such a pro this year compared to last. Also just being familiar with policies and procedures of your school and district helps a lot. No surprises about things you were supposed to do but didn't know. It'll be a million times better! Congrats on a great first week! (I hope your second week was equally enjoyable!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, friend! Week 2 was overall just as great! : ) It's so nice to actually be excited and enjoy the day with the kids!

    ReplyDelete