Sunday, June 17, 2012

9 Years and Counting

Yesterday, June 16th, was our first official date back in high school in the summer of 2003.  Sometimes I can hardly believe we've been together for 9 years and other times it doesn't sound like long enough. I love that so many of my memories from high school and on include Cody.  It's also weird though in ways.  My youngest brother, Aaron, just turned 16 last week -the age I was when Cody and I started dating.  I couldn't imagine him starting to date someone any time soon -let alone someone that he would date long term and eventually marry.  I think I am finally starting to see why my parents didn't take us nearly as seriously as I did back then lol!

So in honor of our 9 year dating anniversary I went back through some of our old photos and decided to share a bunch. -Yes, I am very indecisive and couldn't narrow my pictures down any more.  I tried.  Here's a semi-brief look through our history thus far:

First Date:  
While we had been hanging out prior to this evening, June 16th was our first official date together.  Cody picked me up and took me to dinner at a small local Italian restaurant that is no longer open.  I love Italian food -he knew that from the very beginning.  I very specifically remember one comment he made during dinner. I ordered manicotti (and if you know Cody -you know he doesn't particularly like cheese) and about half way through dinner he just kind of randomly said, "Your food looks like throw up."  -And he was serious. Not joking or being funny.  But somehow it didn't bother me and dinner was wonderful.  That is one of a couple things I specifically remember every time I think of our first date.  After dinner we went to play putt-putt in town.  We had fun.  I'm awful and he won by a lot.  No surprise there.  What the best part was though, after we were done -and it was pretty late, there was almost nobody else there and it was closing, we (stupidly -the water was freezing and gross) got in the little waterfall and splashed around.  It was just silly fun but it made the night.  Here is a photo of the waterfall from the putt-putt place on our first date.  I think that evening will always be one of my favorites to remember.

The Early Days - High School Dating:

Our very first picture together. On our way out to the lake with Cody's aunt and uncle.
Just hanging out.

At Enchanted Rock.  We've gone there several times together and always enjoy it!
We were in band together.  (And Spanish class one year.)  
We pretty much did everything together through band.
Of course we went to prom!  -Cody's senior prom.
We did not go to my senior prom when he was up at A&M.


At Cody's H.S. Graduation. 2004

Long Distance -We did one year apart when Cody was a freshman at A&M and I was still a senior at Smithson Valley.  I went up to visit him for his FLiC Dance in March or April of 2005.


Dating at A&M: 

Going to a football game together. 2006
FLiC Dance 2006
Enchanted Rock day trip over Christmas break. 2006
Summer of 2007 we both went on a mission trip to Zambia.
We had a layover in London for several hours -enough time to do some exploring. 
In Zambia through Family Legacy Missions International.
We were a part of Camp Life for a few weeks that summer. 2007

He Proposed!
On October 20, 2007 Cody proposed!  We were engaged for almost 7 months before our wedding.


Mr. and Mrs.
We got married on May 17, 2008.  We both had one year of school left at A&M.  One semester each of courses and then both of our student teaching semesters.  


Married Life Thus Far  (A super abbreviated version!)
2009
In 2009 we celebrated our one year anniversary with a super sweet picnic at the park where Cody proposed.  We also graduated from A&M, moved to New Braunfels (temporarily) and then to San Antonio when Cody accepted his teaching position at Alamo Heights High School.   
2010
During 2010 Cody both completed his first year of teaching and started his second.  I continued to sub while looking for a teaching job. We also adopted Callie in December at the end of the year!

2011
In 2011 Cody finished his second year of teaching and decided to call it quits and instead pursue a master's degree in statistics for a career change.  I was finally hired to teach and started my first year as a second grade teacher here in San Antonio while Cody started his first year of grad school at UTSA.  We also moved to a duplex in town that we love and is awesome for Callie! -She now has a neighbor dog buddy to play with almost constantly.
2012
So far this year Cody finished his first year of grad school and is now at his internship up in Washington D.C. for 10 weeks over the summer.  I survived my first year of teaching, and despite missing Cody, am enjoying my summer break!



And while this might now be the longest post ever... I think that about covers it!  

Happy 9 year anniversary, Loves!    
   


1 comment:

  1. So adorable! Happy anniversary, friends!

    ReplyDelete